Sunday, November 16, 2008

BLACK PLANET

Last night, I hosted an all-girl dinner party. I invited everyone to bring their own music if they wanted to. No one brought any music. Instead they brought fancy cheese, panda shortbread cookies, chips, hummus, crackers, and chocolate pastries. It turned out great for me, because I didn't have to pretend to like Led Zeppelin and I got to eat a lot of delicious things I can't afford! I made stirfry. It wasn't that good.

A romantic date-like mood was set with white flowers, a psychedelic globe that cast patterns onto the wall, and a bunch of candles. This did not save the host from the outcomes of the somewhat incompatible mix of friends I brought together.

Social challenges aside, This is who played on the soundtrack of our dinner:




FABULOUS DREAMERS DINNER PARTY SOUNDTRACK


Sisters of Mercy -I heard this being made fun of when I was in the washroom. Of course, the song playing was called "Black Planet". I replaced the tape with something less comically dark upon my re-entry to my livingroom.

Depeche Mode- "Depeche Mode 101" is a live album full of great songs. You can only hear cheering on it sometimes and Dave Gahan says "thank you" like he thinks he's Jesus.

New Order- I thought "Power, Corruption, and Lies" would spark a dance party, but not even my favorite song, "5-8-6" could make the dream come alive.

Jeremy Jay-"Airwalker" is an album I once listened to every day for two weeks. I think that might be happening again. So magical and dreamy, but sadly it's over in less than 20 minutes.

The Pixies- "Doolittle" sparked a Pixies debate between the two people that hated the Pixies and the rest that had loved them since they were teens. One of my friends had never heard them before and another one of my friends said they sounded like the Goo Goo Dolls. Huh?

Belle and Sebastian- The album, "The Boy with the Arab Strap". I thought I would be put to death for this, but then remembered I was at an all-girl dinner party, not a clone-my-husband party. Not that he would literally, uh, put me to death, but he might heave a heavy sigh.

Spiritualized-I scored the "Pure Phase" tape at Ameoba in Los Angelos. It's a little warped, but it still takes you into another world. Great for sex, doing the dishes, and sleeping. Perfect.

Brian Jonestown Massacre- I can't get enough of this 60's style, fake accent loving band. I once tried to get Anton Newcombe (is that how you spell it?) to come to a Modern Creatures show in New York. He had already moved to Iceland or something, apparently.

Donovan-The song, "Hurdy Gurdy Man" makes me want to have a sexy moment with anyone and everyone. It also makes me want beaded curtains.

Nirvana- "In Utero" is an album no one complained about. We just talked about how dreamy Kurt Cobain is and how we were sad when we read Courtney Love's blog and found out how bad at proof-reading she is! I'm not going to say the Kurt Cobain diary didn't come up.

Kate Bush- My only remaining friend from grade school said the album, "The Dreaming" sounded like someone on a drug trip. She's never done drugs.

Slowdive-The song, "Allison" was approved of. We were able to listen to alot of depressing music without letting it affect our moods.

Lee Hazelwood and Nancy Sinatra-The song "Some Velvet Morning" spawned the most magical mood of the night. At this point it was 2:30 am and the people left (plus my husband, who had come home by then) were ridiculously stoned.

Spacemen 3- Almost the same as Spiritualized. This was at the end of the night. I was starting to forget who people were talking about while they were halfway through their stories. I went to bed at 3:30 am. I wanted to be one with my bed.

No comments: